Harvey and Weinstein Company honchos targeted in class action suit
The powerful businessmen who sat on The Weinstein Company board including billionaire Paul Tudor Jones, Hillary Clinton pal Marc Lasry and MSG boss Jim Dolan are being implicated in the movie mogulâs sex scandal in a bombshell new court filing.
A class action lawsuit filed today in New Yorkâs Southern District lists as defendants hedge fund mogul Tudor Jones, publishing heir and billionaire investor Dirk Ziff, and billionaire hedge fund manager Lasry, who was a big-time bundler for Clinton during her last presidential run.
Tudor Jones, Lasry and Ziff resigned from the board of The Weinstein Company after Harveyâs behavior was exposed by the New York Times a few months ago. Dolan had quit the board earlier, in 2016 after falling out with Weinstein.
Also named in the suit â" which alleges the board members knew about Harveyâs âpredatory behaviorâ and took no action â" are other former and current board members Harvey and Bob Weinstein, Tim Sarnoff, Tarak Ben Ammar, Lance Maerov, Richard Koenigsberg and Jeff Sackman.
Quoting Harvey Weinsteinâs 2015 contract with TWC, the papers state that it was agreed the movie mogul will pay the company damages for instances of sexual abuse or misconduct, ââYou [Weinstein] will pay the company liquidated damages of $250,000 for the first such instance, $500,000 for the second such instance, $750,000 for the third such instance, and $1,000,000 for each additional instanceâ â
The papers also state, âWeinstein and TWC further agreed that Weinsteinâs payment âconstitutes a âcureâ for the misconduct and no further action can be taken.
âThese provisions in an employment contract are unique â" and reflect TWCâs knowledge that Weinstein was more likely than not to engage in sexual harassment and other misconduct affecting the Class and female employees. TWC and M iramax are liable for Weinsteinâs conduct, because it was perpetuated within the scope of his employment.â
The RICO suit had originally been filed in Los Angeles, but todayâs new filing in New York also names for the first time some of the actresses who are part of the class action. They are named as Louisette Geiss, Katherine Kendall, Zoe Brock, Sarah Ann Thomas, Melissa Sagemiller and Nanette Klatt. All described their experiences at the hands of Weinstein and his attempt to sexually harass and assault them.
We are also told a large number of other actresses are also part of the suit but have so far wished to remain anonymous.
One complainant in the new suit alleges Harvey Weinstein tried to sexually assault her when she interviewed as a nanny for his kids, even as his kids were in the next room at his Connecticut home.
The paperwork also states,â TWC and TWCâs Board of Directors knew or should have known that Weinstein was unï¬t or incompete nt to work directly with female actresses and women in the entertainment industry and posed a particular risk of sexually harassing and assaulting them, and that this unï¬tness created a particular risk to Plaintiffs and the Class â¦ TWCâs and its Board of Directorsâ negligence in supervising and or retaining Weinstein was a substantial factor in causing harm to Plaintiff and the Class.â
The board members did not immediately respond for comment, or could not be reached on Wednesday morning.
One board member Maerov has previously told the New York Times in October that he was aware of settlements made for Weinstein by the company, but that he assumed they were for consensual relationships.Source: Google News